Re: Cinder Blocks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cinder Blocks
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:04:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/02 4:43:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
larryhoy@Prodigy.Net writes:

> I'm no engineer but here's my guess on crumbling cinder blocks.  They
> are designed to hold thing up; they should not crumble if they are layed
> the proper direction.  The holes must be vertical, not horizontal.  I
> would guess if every cinder block 'incident' was investigated, you'd
> find that the blocks were laid so the smooth side was up (holes
> horizontal).

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

That, yes, but also, I bet the mouth-breathers who use cinder bocks in place
of jack stands put the suspension bits directly on the blocks.  If you put a
piece of 2X6 on top of the block, you will distribute the weight to a point
where the cinder bock can probably stand the pressure.  Concentrating the
weight of the corner of a car onto a square inch spot is much more than the
block can handle safely.

Chances are the boat that was mentioned earlier is supported by blocks with
lumber on top.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget