Re: need a list of acronyms

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: need a list of acronyms
From: Dave Williams <ronin@aristotle.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 18:56:56 -0600
"Mullen, Tim" wrote:

> I once worked on a major project (the Space Shuttle) where the
> Acronyms culture was so over loaded, one acronym in particular
> had at least 5 different legitimate meanings depending on who
> you were talking to and the context of the conversation.

 Yeah.  The acronym bozoids worked overtime at NASA.  When "jet pack"
became "MMU"
knew NASA was in its final days as an effective organization.  Nowadays
their "space research" seems to be mostly the endless quest for more
funding to pay their salaries, and their major output seems to be
reports like "Investigation of the Salinity Levels of the Lower Amazon
on the Lesser Spotted Tree Toad."  If you dig through NASA's online
reports, most of them seem to deal with environmentalism or recycling
issues, which I'm sure are of major interest to someone, but they seem
unlikely places for an organization calling itself a "National
Aeronautics and Space Administration" to be spending its efforts.

--
I've got a secret / I've been hiding / under my skin / | Who are you?