concrete driveway

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: concrete driveway
From: Bill Gilroy <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:31:14 -0400
I am located in Central NJ and need to replace my driveway.  My
current driveway is an old single car concrete driveway that is
just two strip where the tires run with dirt in the center.  I would
like to install a two car wide driveway, make the entrance ramp less
steep, and add a concrete pad next to the house for a small car.
This will require the old driveway, side walk, and ramp to be removed.
This is a residential driveway used by cars.

I know almost nothing about concrete work and plan to hire a
contractor.  I figure that I should get the following:

             1.  5 inch thick driveway
             2.  3000 PSI concrete
             3.  fibers (not sure what type) in the concrete to
             minimize cracking.
             4.  Wire mesh or re-bar.  Not sure which I need or what
             the grid should be on the re-bar.
             5.  A new base of gravel.  How thick should that be, what
             size gravel, how should it be compacted?
             6.  A broom finish.

What else do I need to get when installing a driveway?  Any tips for
hiring a contractor to do the work?  Any other tips?  Any idea on the
cost/sq. foot in Central NJ.

--
Best regards,
 Bill                          mailto:w.gilroy@verizon.net