Re: Dishwashers (still no car stuff at all)

To: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu, shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dishwashers (still no car stuff at all)
From: "Michael Lye" <mlye@risd.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:44:00 -0400
David wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Michael Lye wrote:
>>
>> first one I ran across) claims the ability to clean 16 place settings
>> using as little as 5.6 gallons of water per cycle. (from
>> http://www.appliancemagazine.com) Don't know any other specific figures
>> but other manufacturers will have similar perhaps some lower water
>> usage. Doesn't take much hand washing to use up 5.6 gallons of water.
>
> Watch these numbers.  Many new dishwashers have a sensor that tells how dirty
> the dishes are (by looking at the rinse water, I think).  They stop washing
> when they're clean.  Some washers have water use numbers quoted that are the
> result of more or less washing clean dishes.  I don't put clean dishes in
> the dishwasher, and I suspect most people don't.  Real water use can be
> several times higher.  There are highly effecient dishwashers that use
> very little water, though.

Very true. Note the *as little as* in their claim. And I'm sure that
this will be with *lightly soiled* dishes as you point out. Actually
though most people do put relatively clean dishes into their
dishwashers. Quite a few people basically wash them or at least
thoroughly rinse off the dishes before placing them in the washer, which
really does defeat the purpose, as well as using the most water.

There actually are standardized tests for dishwashers (by the
Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers) to test both dishwashers
and detergents. I can't recall the specifics now (and my notes are
buried somewhere in the shed) but the details are pretty funny. How many
different sizes of dishes, with how many grams of food residue of each
different type, how long the dishes sit before washing, etc.

Still, end result, its still much better to use the dishwasher with a
full load without pre-rinsing anything than to hand wash (purely in
terms of water/energy usage.)

Mike