RE: Multiple 220v outlets

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: Multiple 220v outlets
From: "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt@pss.Boeing.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:40:28 -0700
> > Now I'll have to check the book again tonight.  Can you tell me the
> > chapter and verse of the NEC where it says that?  Maybe this changed
> > recently.  (It wasn't that long ago that metal flex conduit didn't
> > require a separate ground wire.)
>
> Not only does it not say outlets can't be daisy-chained,
> duplex outlets
> actually have a separate "pass-through" current rating, for
> how much current
> can flow through the tabs.  Many have a 20 amp pass-through,
> which allows
> 15amp outlets to be daisy-chained on a 20 amp circuit.

I am not an expert, but when I was doing a fair amount of wiring I
took short length of wire and attached it to the outlet (think three
legged spider :-).  I made a whole bunch of these when I was getting
ready to wire the garage.  Then I used wire nuts to connect the
upstream, downstream, and outlet.  Yes, this uses more wire than
just attaching the wire to the outlet, but for some reason I can wire
a neater box and it is relatively easy to stuff everything in.
The inspector seemed to like it.

Now for something shop related:  My shop has 36 20 amp convenience
outlets, 4 30amp 220 "convenience twist locks", 1 60amp 220 welder
outlet.  On the ceiling I have 18 outlets for lighting divided into
four "zones".  In the future I plan to put in dedicated outlets for some
of my equipment (lift, compressor, large stationary wood working tools, etc)
as I acquire and decide where they will live.

--
Stuart Galt
SGML Resource Group