Re: sandpaper grades

To: JNiolon@uss.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sandpaper grades
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:19:46 -0400
 From woodzone.com:

What is grit?
When talking about sandpaper "grit" is a reference to the number of
abrasive particles per inch of sandpaper. The lower the grit the rougher
the sandpaper and conversely, the higher the grit number the smoother the
sandpaper. This make sense if you imagine how small the particles on an
800-grit sandpaper would need to be to fit into a 1" square. Sandpaper is
referred to by the size of its grit (i.e. 150-grit sandpaper).