Good used tow vehicles?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Good used tow vehicles?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 17:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

(Off topic a bit I know.  If its too far off, please ignore!)

So I'm thinking of getting an enclosed trailer for next year, and I'm not
too sure my current truck will handle it.

I'm thinking about a 26' or 28' enclosed trailer, loaded up with a 3k lbs
car and all the support equipment (another 2k?).

The current truck is a '98 Chevy 2500HD.  2wd, 350 Vortech & 4L80E, 4.10
gears (we think.  Turns ~3k rpm at 70mph in 3rd), tranny cooler, etc.

I don't know for sure, but it seems like my current truck will struggle
with the trailer I'd like.  As such, I've been considering moving up.  If
I do, I want to get a truck that I can live with for the next five years
or so, even if I decide to upgrade the trailer again.

Seems like if I want to buy a used dually diesel, I'm choosing between
Ford and Dodge.  I have yet to hear a positive thing about non-Duramax
Chevy diesels.  I'd like to stick with something in good condition,
doesn't need any major (or much minor) work, etc.  I'd also like an auto
tranny, extended cab (crew cab if I must, but definately not a standard
cab), long bed, and 4wd.

With that in mind, any recommendations?  Anyone got anything for sale?
What're the good online places to look?

In particular I'd like to know if there are any years to stay away from in
the Dodge and Ford ranks, when Dodge & Ford moved to the latest body
style, if there were any major upgrades, etc.  Seems like the Cummins gets
the nod over the Powerstroke maintenance-cost-wise in the opinion of my
mechanic friends, but it seems like the Dodge auto tranny is weaker than
the Ford?  I also prefer the Ford body and name over the Dodge, but not to
the extent that I'd look over a good deal.

Just looking to see if you folks that have already gone down this road can
save me some pain!

Thanks,

Mark

(oh, and if anyone has a 26' or 28' enclosed trailer for sale in the
sub (hopefully substantially) $10k range... :-)