Re: Paint Booth for Powder coating

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Paint Booth for Powder coating
From: Ralph Forsythe <rf-list@centerone.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:00:56 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Mike Rambour wrote:

>    Ok, what do I need to build myself a small booth for powder coating, I
> expect that I will never paint regular paint with it (I do all that stuff
> outside), JUST powder coating which may or may not require a explosion
> proof motors.

<snip>

> it sure looks like I could build one for a lot less money, I have a
> brother-in-law who does sheet metal work for a living and from the picture
> he said "in my sleep" when I asked if he could build it.  I could even
> build it out of plywood.  But what are the filters that I need and more
> importantly the motor/fan, what size, where do I get it and rough guess on
> the cost.  I assume the filters could be everyday forced air heater filters.
>
>    I love powder coating and I made a plastic drop cloth booth but its a
> pain to set up each time and now that i have a oven, I am doing it more often.

Hi Mike,

Did you pay for a large oven, or??  I have an old range in my garage I was
going to use to coat small things, but I also have a V8 engine block I
think needs a healthy coating of FoMoCo blue, and a 700lb block will not
fit in a GE oven unfortunately.  I was going to get one of those IR lamps
and plod through it, but they're pricey.  If I can get or build some kind
of oven for less, that might be the best way to go.

As for the coating booths - very simple to make I think.  I don't know
about the motors (I'd use explosion proof ones just because of the small
particles flying about the space) or filters but I'll be watching to see
what others say.  I'd like to have it reclaim the powder as well
somehow...  The booth itself can't be hard to make, it's just a
rectangular space really.  Just build a frame using studs, put up some
plywood, and sheet metal that up.  Done.  One afternoon well spent with
power tools... :)

- Ralph