Re: please don't let my pump freeze...

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: please don't let my pump freeze...
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:45:41 -0400
A book that I have on well & septic systems suggests that a reasonably
tight wellhouse only needs a lightbulb left on to keep the temperature
from freezing. Some folks leave the water just barely trickling in one
faucet - moving water does not freeze as quickly as still water
(supposedly). I bought one of those plug-in thermostatic gizmo's for
running the heater on one of my tractors. I believe I got it from
Sporty's Tools, but they should be available elsewhere; it is set for 30
degrees F.

Mike

Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> In the fine tradition of asking questions that have little to do with
> a shop but that will certainly tap into the collective wisdom of this list...
>
> We bought a cabin in the Sierra last February. It comes complete
> with its own well and a submerged pump (a few hundred feet down)
> housed in a separate pump house. There's a 10 gallon or so
> pressure tank and various valving leading to the house and to
> a set of faucets for irrigation.
>
> We go out there about every other weekend. This past winter, we'd
> turn off the valves, drain the irrigation lines (usually not
> full) and leave a heat lamp going in the pump house. There's some
> heat tape spiraled around some of the wires - I *think* it works,
> I think it's got a little in-line thermostat, but I'm not really
> certain.
>
> Now that freezing temps are getting close again, I'd like to
> figure out how to do this better. In particular, I'm unhappy
> about leaving the 200W or so heat lamp on 24x7.
>
> As far as I can tell, what you're supposed to do with heat tape
> is make a straight run along the pipes and wrap with insulation
> tape. I can do that - I'll probably replace this tape, just
> in case, unless I can convince myself it's working (immerse in
> cold water? pack in ice?)
>
> The pump is deep enough that it doesn't seem like it could freeze.
> I don't know if the line from the pump up to the rest of the
> plumbing stays full or empties ... and I don't know if I need to
> worry about the pressure tank freezing. Do I? I guess I can run
> some heat tape around it, too, but how do I insulate it?
>
> I don't mind running the heat lamp. I mind running it all the time.
> I've looked for a 110V thermostat that goes down to 40 degF, but
> haven't found one ... I suppose I could take a "normal" one and
> try to "recalibrate" it.
>
> Suggestions here would be most welcome.
>
> thanks,
> chris

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate
in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."

         - Plato (427?-347? B.C.)