Re: Drill Press recommendations?

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Drill Press recommendations?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:51:34 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002, Dave & Marlene wrote:
> Since you want an excuse to get a new drill press, this may not be what
> you want to hear.

:-)

> It is surprisingly easy to straighten the spindle on most presses. Set
> up a dial indicator to measure spindle runout, clamp a piece of 1/2"
> stock in the chuck, & tap on the apropriate side of the stock with a 4
> pound hammer. You don't have to hit it real hard to bend the spindle any
> direction that you wish. Keep tapping & measuring until the stock in the
> chuck runs true.

I ended up doing this tonight (after re-assembling the drill press... :-).
Easy as advertised.  I didn't get it perfect... After I got the easily
visible to the naked eye part of the bend out I just spun it at high speed
and lightly touched the side of the chuck with a sharpie...  The mark
showed me where it was sticking out a bit...

When I was done I chucked up a small drill bit and spun it at low speed
and it looked like it always has pretty much.  You could see a touch of
wobble maybe, but I think its as good as its ever been.

I'd already found a drill press however... :-)

Its an Accura 1.5hp 20" swing.  #4 (I think?) morse taper, with some
adapters to smaller tapers, a machinist's vice, 5/8" jacobs chuck, 3/4" ??
chuck (need to get a key for this one), and some taper mount bits.  $400.
Used, but its a friend of a friend who likes to buy and sell machine shop
stuff and he says he's used it something like 10 times since he bought it
a couple years ago.

Not sure how great a brand Accura is (not even really sure I'm spelling
that correctly...), but it seems like a pretty rugged piece of equipment.

I'll be heading over to pick it up in a couple days.  So if its junk, let
me know quick!  :-)

Mark