Re: Gate openrs

To: "Bob Nogueira" <nogera@Prodigy.Net>,
Subject: Re: Gate openrs
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:03:45 -0600
Real smart folks don't know much more then most of us.... It's all in the
ability to ask questions.... Yours indicate you have really thought about
this Bob...    I have used one of these to build an opener for my 16' X 8'
drum style roll up door for the same reason... I just wasn't going to pay
900 bucks for an opener...   The upside to your thoughts are the rolling
codes and avaliblity of the Cheapest opener on the market... ( install tips
below my signiture )  ( I got three junk models to play with from my local
installer... he was tickled to see what I did with them )  Keep in mind it's
not designed for this.... and the teflon gears inside can go away with use.
Mine wore out after only 4 yrs.... LOL... who cares at that point... a 30
dollar set of gears and I was up and running again.

1.  The Sears opener that I have is two directional and has limit sitches
inside that are totally adjustable within the range of the average Garage
door....( more then adequate for what your going to do )  they are on Teflon
1/4 28 threads that are about 4" long and have brass contact stops on each
end.  If the gate hits something it will automatically reverse directions.

2. I think it's standard Bike chain... and avalible at your local hardware
store... or industrial supply by the foot.  ( I'm 99% on this one )

3. I had to build a disconnect in to my system.  it's simply a spring clip
that connects a steel inner rod to my sleeve on the outter.

Keith Turk
( I mounted this thing vertically and welded a 3/8ths shaft to the chain
drive sprocket on the opener... sticks out about 5" then I put a 3/8's ID
sleave over it that is welded to the Chain shaft ( pull chain used
manually ) Makes for a really cheap opener.