Furance fixed, thanks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Furance fixed, thanks
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 01:00:36 -0500
   The thermocouple did the trick, thanks to all who helped. It's about
-15C out there but the garage heater stayed up all day and the pilot was
still going when I shut it down. $6cdn total, not too shabby.

   Winter was a bit early this year and I still had to do some work so
it was good to have the heat. Today's goal was to get my cars stacked
and put away so that my wife could park her daily driver inside to make

   However, the Jag's rebuilt master cylinder and servo were sitting on
the bench, so I had to install, bleed, and then get the Jag movable to
shuffle all the cars around.

   I had a lot of trouble getting the rears bled, so I thought maybe
having the car started would help (with vacuum assist). Quite the
experience, under a hoisted jag, alternating between burning myself on
the exhaust, freezing with the air coming in the open door, and balanced
with the furnace desperately trying to heat the neighborhood. Oh, and
screaming instructions to the friend in the driver's seat over the
engine sound isn't fun either.

   It also took most of a can of quickstart to get the car running, but
a lot of that was before I realized the fuel pump points needed a whack.

   Moral, e-types don't like cold. I have an electronic ignition I am
waiting to get around to installing, that might help a lot. I know the
Midget starts much easier with the EI system than before with points. Oh
well.

   I took some pics of the shop, since this is a shop-talk group I might
as well post. You can play "one of these cars is not like the others".

   The infamous furnace is visible in the last pic, hanging from the
ceiling.

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_1.jpg
http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_2.jpg
http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_3.jpg