More questions about measuring instruments

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: More questions about measuring instruments
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:00:53 -0500
Well I'm setting up my new shop and a new shop means I need new tools to
fill it!

Is there any reason to get a set of inside micrometers or a dial bore gauge
instead of a set of telescoping hole gauges?  I am assuming that the reason
most machine shops use the more expensive tools is because it saves them the
step of having to mic up the telescoping hole gauges because they can get a
direct measurement from the inside mics or the dial bore gauge.  Is there
going to be a big difference in the quality/accuracy of the $15 Harbor
Freight telescoping hole gauges and the $85 Starrett or Central sets?  (they
all seem to work on the same principles and all of the same design).

Keep in mind that I only do 1-3 engine builds a year (mostly just one a
year), but I like to be accurate with what I do.  If I can take
measurements, accurate to .0005" from a set of telescoping hole gauges I
would be very happy.  I'd be taking the measurements with my Starrett mics,
which are scaled in .0001" increments but accurate to +/- .00005".

Also, since my 0-1" and my 2-3" are Starrett mics, I'm looking to complete
the set.  Should I stick with Starrett or is there any reason not to go with
a cheaper brand, with similar accuracy, for the casual use my mics see?

Thanks!

Kai