Tools Brands (was Re: More questions about measuring

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tools Brands (was Re: More questions about measuring
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:51:22 -0500
Yah, that is fine and simple, except for the fact that many Craftsman tools
and other brand name tools are made by someone else.  Craftsman also doesn't
make a set of telescoping hole gauges, inside mics, or dial bore gauges (at
least not in the catalogues I have).  Even Snap-On's measuring instruments
don't compare to the quality or the higher accuracy of the Starrett or
Mitutoyo stuff.  But the main question was about comparing two different
types of measuring instruments for the same task.

Having worked in two British car shops during my summers off from college, I
became unhappy with the cost to quality ratio of SnapOn tools.  For the
majority of their hand tools, and many other tools, I was happier with
KoBalt (Lowes) tools and I saved quite a bit on the ones I purchased for
personal use.  For tools that I need to be of high quality, or need a
certain function, then I purchase Facom brand tools.  They really are the
best I've found (but more expensive than Snap-On in many cases).

Oddly enough, one of the best bargain tools I ever purchased turned out to
be some of the best tools I ever owned.  It was a set of cheap Chinese
stubby wrenches (6 total), and they fit nuts and bolts better (wrench
openings were cut far more tightly to the fastener faces) than the Snap-On
set I purchased previously!  Cost was $8... and I traded in my Snap-On set
to ReTool and got $25 back (I had paid $60 to the Snap-On guy when I bought
them new!).

The point is, there is nothing wrong with shopping around and asking what
experience others have had with certain brands of tools.  Sticking to one
brand, like some people swear to MAC and Snap-On, is ridiculous and often
times a waste of money.  We live in an age where the lowest bidder gets to
produce the part and much of the tools are now produced in the Far East as a
result.  So far, I've been quite happy with the tools I've received that are
produced in China and Taiwan.

Kai

50% Kobalt Hand Tools
20% Craftsman
15% Brandless Foreign Stuff
10% Facom
5% Tools I made myself
(and a couple of SnapOn screwdrivers remaining, which I'm not all that fond
of)