Re: large cracks in slab

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: large cracks in slab
From: Shannah Miller <shannah@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:42:30 -0800
It's clear that I live in earthquake country, because
the first thing I thought of was "I wonder if there is
an unknown fault under the house."  So, I guess my first
question is: where do you live?

If you're going to be doing expensive upgrades to your
house, you might find it worthwhile to enlist the help
of an engineer.  A friend of mine is a civil engineer,
and he is able to look at land, buildings on the land,
and make expert predictions as to what will happen,
when, and why.

Do you have an engineering firm nearby with a good
reputation?  It wouldn't be cheap to have them come
and inspect, but the peace of mind might well be worth
it.

I realize that the cracks need to be sealed by some
method in order to keep water from percolating up
through the slab.  My concern is that you could have
real problems with whatever you put over the seal
if the slab is still moving.

Shannah