Re: battery trickle chargers

To: <Eric@megageek.com>
Subject: Re: battery trickle chargers
From: Eric Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 22:25:50 -0500
No glow plugs? It must really be hard to start when cold. Any
possibility of adding a block heater? I had an '83 F250 with the diesel
engine. The block heater merely fit into the spot where a 'freeze plug'
would fit. (Is 'core plug' a better term?) When the OEM heater quit I
just found a generic one with a similar wattage & correct diameter for
the original location. I recall there were many to choose from (dia's &
wattage).

Even an hour with the block heater plugged in made a big difference in
cold weather cranking/starting. I hooked mine up to a 15 amp timer set
to start about an hour or two before I expected to leave for work in
the morning.

I've seen magnetic oil pan warmers that might help a little, at least
for cranking speed. I've been told that the block heater is best for
the diesel, however.

Also, I have been told not to use ether type staring fluid in the
diesel. Perhaps there is another type?

Eric