Re: Diesels on ether

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Diesels on ether
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:23:52 -0600
Steve wondered:

> I've heard lots of horror stories (myths???) about the damage that ether
> does to engines.  Is there any substance to the stories?

Having sold and serviced a few thousand diesel powered ag & industrial engines,
I've heard lots of  stories about ether starting fluid.  The manufacturers
generally allow limited intelligent use of ether.  We told customers to roll the
engine over several times without fuel to get some heat in the chambers and then
turn the fuel on and apply ether squirts only while the starter is engaged and
turning.  Direct injection motors start far easier than pre-cup motors and merit
fitting of auxiliary heating sources.  The only engine that I feel absolutely
was damaged immediately and severely by ether was that of a dummy who drove his
out-of-fuel tractor a couple of hundred yards to the pump on squirt cans of
ether.  The top ring lands on a couple of pistons were knocked down sticking the
rings and scoring the liners.

two cents please . .

Tony