Re: Unseizing a bushing?

To: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Subject: Re: Unseizing a bushing?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 02:25:26 -0500
Steven Trovato wrote:
> get a local mechanic to drill a hole in the outer part of the bushing
> and thread in a grease fitting.  You could then gush in some grease and
> stop the squeak.  It wouldn't last that long, but then you could always
> hit it with more grease.  You were greasing the rubber/metal interface,
> where there wasn't supposed to be any slipping in the first place.
> Note, this was not necessarily a good thing from the point of view of
> suspension performance.  But it did temporarily stop the squeak.

   That is probably plenty good for me. It's less work for me to grease
the joint three times before the car is junked than to take the whole
thing apart.

   How big around is this ford arm where the nipple is threaded in?

   The whole bushing and steel holder at the end of the arm on this car
is about the size of a golf ball, maybe slightly larger, perhaps big
enough to contain a golf ball if the bushing was removed.

   It should be ok, in my guestimation, to make a hole in it big enough
for a grease nipple without endangering it's function.

   I still haven't determined if it's the inside or the outside that's
slipping and making the squawk, but if I got enough lube in there on the
outside it would probably start to slip even if it isn't slipping now.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca