Re: Water pumps

To: Eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Water pumps
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 21:47:43 -0500
Inch:

I don't have a well at my house, but I do at our summer cottage, so I can't look
at the switch to verify this.  I had this same problem and adjusted it to turn
on
at the required pressure, which according to my switch was 30#.  As I recall my
first adventure, I had to turn the adjuster much more than I thought should be
needed, but it eventually made a difference.  To test, I just ran the tank down
to the proper pressure.  It should shut the pump off at 50#.

There are two adjustments, one for cut in, one for cut out.  My memory doesn't
remember enough to describe it to you, but I figured it out by observing.

BTW, after about 6 months or so from the adjustment, it started acting up again.
I replaced with a new one.  That carried me through the end of the season, but
then it screwed up yet again soon after Spring startup.  I adjusted the new one,
and this time, it required fewer turns to get it dialed in.

Long story short, I figure that as these things wear, usually corrode a bit,
they
get less sensitive and resist adjustment.  So, if you don't see a change after a
lot of turns, it could be time for a change.  But it's a standard item at Home
Depot.  Not all that expensive as I recall.

I think my recurring difficulties might be aggravated by infrequent use.  Even
during the summer, it doesn't get a lot of cycles.

Good luck.

Jim