RE: running black pipe along walls.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: running black pipe along walls.
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 14:10:59 -0800
> I'm going to be running some black pipe around the walls of my warehouse
> for compressed air (thank you, shop-talk archives), but I'm wondering
> what the best way to fasten it to the walls would be.
>
> The walls are plain old cement brick; it's going to be a decent amount
> of pipe, probably near 200' in all.  I was thinking I could hang some 1"
> channel bar vertically at intervals along the wall and then mount the
> black pipe onto that, the bonus being that it'd be raised up from some
> of the other crap that's already running along the wall, and I could run
> other things on the channel as well (I'm going to need some 220 service
> soon, as well as a run of water).
>
> Or is this overkill and I should just U-bolt it to the wall?

The channel sounds good to me.  Makes it easier to move or alter in the
future, too.

> As far as fastening into cement brick goes, what kind of fasteners are
> we talking about?  Expando-bolts into the actual brick or into the
> mortar between them?

I've always heard they have to go into the mortar, or risk having the brick
crumble.

> As far as actually assembling the pipe to be air-tight, is there a
> sealant to use on the threads, or just teflon tape?

I'm fond of teflon 'pipe dope', as there's no chance of it forming strings
of tape that can clog things up.  Easier to work with too (IMO), and only
slightly more expensive.  (Took me 15 years to use up a $4 bottle,
replacement bottle cost $8)

Randall