3 phase generator

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: 3 phase generator
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:41:20 -0600
I recently came across and obtained (cheap at $50) a used
Onan 3-phase 5kva 240 generator powered by a 2 cylinder
engine.  Don't know anything about it as yet and I'm trying to
find out if it would be worth my time to try and get it working
again.

I'm not strong on electrical theory so I'm kind of stabbing in
the dark here.  Would  a 3-phase generator be of any use
around the house as a back up generator?  Wil one leg of the
3-phase to ground give me 120?  If so does that mean I
would have 3 different power feeds from the generator if I
was to use it for 120vac single phase?  If I only use one or
two legs will that unbalance the generator and cause
problems?

Hopefully somone out there can set me straight on what this
unit might be usable for!

TIA

Brad