RE: ionized air cleaners

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ionized air cleaners
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:41:44 -0800
> So, can I build one of these and put it into my AC at home

I don't see why not, but it's going to take some effort, ie research, trial
and error, etc.

> does some company sell one that works and improves the air going
> through the central heat and air?

Here's one example
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhome/eiac-air_cleaners/f52.htm

However, I don't believe they sell them direct.  I saw two of these on eBay
a few months back, but haven't looked since then.

You have to watch out for terminology though, many companies are selling
unpowered 'electrostatic' air filters that apparently rely on the flow of
air to build a static charge.  I don't know, but I suspect these are much
less effective (although also much cheaper) than the powered variety,
especially against smoke, pollen, etc.

Randall