Cordless drills

To: "ShopTalk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cordless drills
From: "Steve Dillen" <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:20:15 -0800
I need some opinions on cordless drills.  My old Makita 9.6 may be getting to
the end of its days -- after all, it's probably 12 years old now, and
batteries run about $50 each here.  The other night I saw that Sears has a
19.2v 3/8" cordless drill on for $100.  Is this thing any good?  It comes with
a light/screwdriver (probably "junk cabinet" fodder) and 2 batteries.  I'm
assuming that the 19.2 number is pretty much marketing hype and the innards
will look very similar to their 18v variant.

The $100 price tag is attractive because after taxes/exchange rates, it still
comes in at about the same price as a Canadian sourced 9.6v.  18v drills here
are about $350. Of course, if it's junk it doesn't matter what the price is!

Thanks.

Steve Dillen