RE: a/c furnace recommendations

To: Tim.Mullen@trw.com, thomkuby@iwvisp.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: a/c furnace recommendations
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:58:19 -0600
>Swamp coolers work very well
>in dry areas, but don't work well in humid areas

Actually, not at all.  I will wager you find not one working evap cooler in
any home in Minnesota.  A guy I used to know moved his mobile home here from
Tucson.  He wisely sold the swamp cooler there before moving.

>Air conditioners work better in humid
>climates (humid air transfers heat better than dry air).

More than that, air conditioners do what we need done:  Dehumidify.

The saying here is "it's not the heat, it is the humidity".  Quite true.  One's
comfort is measured by the dewpoint, not the temperature.

I spent some time in Texas during a hot spell in 2000.  One day, I was flat-out
miserable, as the humidity was high.  The next day, the humidity was very low
and I was quite comfortable outside at 108 degrees.  All I needed to do was
drink huge quantities of water.

Phil "sweating Minnesotan" Ethier