RE: question on joists need.

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: question on joists need.
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 19:50:20 -0800
>    Some probably bad ASCII text follows.
>
>      /\
>     /  \
>    /    \
>   --------  <-- These is what I am talking about, there are 3 of
> them over
> the span of 22'
>   |      |

>    These 2x4's are just nailed in where the roof sits on the headers and
> appear useless.  I can (and maybe should) take some pictures and
> post a URL
> if that would help.

Mike, I'm not sure I follow your description and diagram ... but I'm pretty
sure those joists are required.  Wooden walls are amazingly weak in any
direction except straight down, and the weight of the roof on the rafters
(the boards that run at an angle) is trying to spread the walls apart along
the top.  The joists are what keep the walls from becoming "bowlegged" at
the top.

Plus, home builders (especially those here in SoCA) are not known for using
any wood that they don't absolutely have to.

Randall