Re: Painting an engine block

To: "Ralph Forsythe" <rf-list@centerone.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Painting an engine block
From: "Tom Phelan" <tomph@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 18:04:59 -0500
> What's the best way to go about prepping an old engine block to be
> painted?  I have a 360FE in a truck I'm rebuilding, which will be pulled
> shortly.  Before it goes back in, I want it to be painted the Ford dark
> blue (should look good with the various shiny bits I'm putting in).

Hi there,

I've done three blocks over the last 5 years. Would recommend having it hot
tanked as someone else suggested but then follow up with Dupont 5717s metal
conditioner. You cut it 2:1 with water and scrub it on with a scotch pad
and, while it's still wet, wipe it off. Use rubber gloves! When completely
dry, tape your gasket surfaces and then paint away. I did the first block
this way back in '96 on a dialy driver and it still loooks good. No peeling
or chipping.

Tom P