Re: weedeater

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: weedeater
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:57:35 -0500
On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 02:34:07PM -0600, JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

> another option is one of the wheeled trimmers...   MTD and I think
> Troybuilt make them... and Northern Tool carries another line... basically
> a two wheeled engine with a seriously heavy duty 4 string trimmer on the
> front.... great for fences and lake sides...  two large spoked wheels and
> handles for easy maneuvering...  beats carrying a 15 # weedeater for
> hours..  if I had several hundred feet of fence... I'd invest in one in a
> heartbeat

My parents have one of these on their farm where they have a good 1000'
of fence.  I've since forgotten the brand but it consists of a 5 or 6HP engine
and, like you said, a very heavy duty 4-string trimmer up front.  For those
folks who haven't seen one of these, it's not a line-feed trimmer...4 pieces
of fixed-length string (which I'd guess is 3/16" thick) are attached to the
spinner in such a way that both ends cut so you really have 8 'cutters'.  It's
pretty stout stuff but the string will still break if you hit a fence post.

It's a good tool for those 'intermediate' areas that the bushhog can't
get but that are too large for the weedeater.  For a relatively flat fence row,
it's probably the ideal tool.  If the fence is on very rugged terrain,
one might want to rent one of these to test drive before buying.

> john

Jimmie