Re: Garage flooring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: Garage flooring
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 10:28:13 -0700
Mike Rambour wrote:
>     I have a friend who does not work in his garage that is moving to
> another state.  He has offered me at a very affordable price  his garage
> flooring.  It sure looks good and would be way more cool than paint like
> Griotts paint but its not smooth.
>
>    What they are is racedeck floor tiles ( http://www.racedeck.com ) and
> they have a diamond thread pattern on them, its not as high as a steel
> plate diamond thread but still not smooth and I am concerned about things
> like not being able to roll or move things like a tranny jack with a tranny
> on it.  I took a few tiles and I was able to move my floor jack around but
> it didn't have a lot of weight on it and my tool chest rolled easier than I
> thought it would on them but it was still not as easy as smooth
> concrete.  I also didn't try things like using my grinder and spraying hot
> metal shaving all over them.  I am told it would not hurt them and even
> welding splatter would only discolor slightly.  I talked with a Sales Rep
> who said of course said "no problem in a garage"
>
>    As I said my friend never used his garage as a place to work on his car,
> merely to show off his car and he is willing to almost give them to me.  He
> has several colors since he had a pattern but my garage is much smaller so
> I would be able to get a Black/White/Grey checkerboard with some Red thrown
> in, I think it would look cool and would have some tiles left over to do
> something with, maybe a section of the patio by the spa :)
>
>    Anyway, has anyone used these tiles or have any suggestions ?
>
>       mike

Mike;
Cool Deal.  I'd jump on it. My pit crew career never involved any high
dollar outfits, but I saw plenty of them.  All the big time NHRA crews
have this stuff and it's the first thing to go down when they roll in.
I've seen the heaviest toolboxes, clutch lathes, jacks and Margaritta
machines roll over it smooth as can be.  I'd sure like to have some for
my shop.
Cheers,
Matt