Re: Lift

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Lift
From: nicholas harteau <nrh@ikami.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:07:07 -0500
That was me, I think.  I got a bend-pak MX-10AC.  Yes, lifting the
package out of the truck was a huge pain.  I have some pictures of it
here:
http://nbccwi.com/pics/lift/index.cgi/delivery

Very dodgy with one forklift.

The installation took about 8 hours with three people working pretty
constantly, not counting trips to get supplies.  I wouldn't want to
attempt the installation with any less than three people.  There are
some tasks that just require three sets of hands.  Take some time the
day before to get all your ducks in a row; get a bucket of hydraulic
fluid and a spout flexible enough to get it into the reservoir.  Rent
the biggest hammerdrill you can find (Hope Depot rents some nice ones).
I'd suggest renting the bit as well, if that's an option for you.

The directions for installation are pretty clear.  The one thing that is
left out is recommended clearance fore and aft.  I actually ended up
installing my lift in reverse to conserve space; i.e. you back into it
instead of driving forward.  I left approximately 10' between the
front of the lift and the wall.  (that doesn't sound like it makes
sense, but remember that I'm basically using it backwards.)  This is
enough room for the sportscars that I've been lifting, but you may need
more space if you're talking about lifting longer sedans.

Either way, spend a lot of time thinking about your layout.  It was
possible for us to move the columns around with a very hefty furniture
dolly and test out a couple different scenarios.  The columns weigh
~650lbs each, so be careful when you're moving them around, and don't
try to move them with some normal wimpy dolly.

We had some alignment issues when trying to install the top bar; it
seemed to want to have the columns rotated slightly more than they had
been, but a little work with a prybar cleared that up.  Using a prybar
at the top of a 14' ladder isn't all that fun, fyi.

The last real challenging part is getting electrical to the lift.

--
nicholas harteau
nrh@ikami.com