Re: Bonneville security question

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: Bonneville security question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:40:46 -0400
At 06:47 AM 4/14/03 -0400, eric@megageek.com wrote:

>OK, I have a friend with extremely limited funds and she is having a
>problem with her car.  She turned to me for answers and I am stumped.
>Hopefully, somewhere can point me to an answers.
>
>The car: A 1995 Pontiac Bonneville SE  (stock except aftermarket radio.)
>
>The problem:  When she goes to start the car sometimes, the starter will
>not engage.  A "Security" light comes up on the dash and she needs to wait
>for it to turn off before she can try to start it again. (It takes maybe a
>minute or two).....

Inch,

Two things I can think of:

1. Can you duplicate the problem?  My 1st guess is that the starter solenoid
   contacts are burned and that when she tries to start the car, they plunger
   isn't making contact across the contacts.  This will be intermittant for a
   long time, before the car will not start.  The security system thinks she
   tried to start it and either has a timer set so it won't start for a period
   of time, or she has just waited for the light to go out before she tried
   to restart it.

2. Usually there is a fuse off of the Pos. side of the battery.  Try pulling
   that, and see if disarms the security system, and that the car still works.
   If so, let her drive it like that for a couple of days and see if the
   problem re-occures.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org