Re: Mantis Tiller

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Subject: Re: Mantis Tiller
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:39:33 -0700
On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 07:00:53PM -0400, Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> I was wondering if
> anyone had a Mantis Garden Tiller?

Yes.  I use it to till our garden beds.  It works really well.  It used to
take me an afternoon to turn two 4x8 beds by hand and I'd be wiped out.
The Mantis will do it in in about 30 minutes and do a much better job
of it.

The only caveat is that rocky soil, I mean computer mouse sized rocks not
gravel, can jam between the drive unit and blades.  I got soil for our
beds by taking the tractor to another part of the property and digging
up some dirt, so we have rocks in our beds.  I think I've found more of
the big ones.

We have to garden in beds inside a fenced garden, otherwise deer and
rabbits will eat everything.  If we had a garden as big as my wife would
like to have (sans hungry critters and with more flat land) I'd be using
a tiller on the back of a tractor.

But for small beds, the Mantis works pretty darn well.

Eric