Tool chest casters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Tool chest casters
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:42:38 -0700
   Last summer I purchased a pretty nice big tool chest from Sears and
there is one item on it that really sucks, the casters.

  They are 5" diameter casters, 2" wide and hard plastic.  I might be
showing my age here but anyone remember trying to skate board on the
sidewalk in the late 60's ? every little pebble stopped the wheels and
knocked you off the board.  That is what is happening with these hard
casters, every little thing on the floor stops the thing. That and the 2
rotating ones don't want to rotate very easily, I tend to have to bend down
and manually rotate them in the direction I want them to go.

  I was thinking softer plastic casters would help but I am afraid I might
get "flat spots" on the wheels when the rather heavy tool chest sits for
months at a time.  What about pneumatic tires ? make them that small ?  I
have to admit I have not started looking yet but those caster are number 1
on my current list of things to replace in the garage.

   Any ideas/suggestions ?

    Mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/