Re: Cleaning fouled plugs

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning fouled plugs
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:40:59 -0500
I wrote:
If it's just oil-fouling, a spritz with spray-can carburetor cleaner will
work . . how'd you foul 40 spark plugs?

Keith added:

> Elton I really like your answer so far... I've used several different type
> plug cleaners and they work to clean the plug....
>
> BUT and it's big to me... when I started inspecting my plugs after I cleaned
> them I found lots of little particles in between the ceramic and the
> housing... not stuff I want dropping in a high dollar motor.... or my
> Healey's for that matter...
>
> Soooo.... carb cleaner... wire brush.... regap and find the cause of the
> fouling

YEP . . Good thinking . . if you have particles, THAT many particles, you want
to find the source which, in my experience, will usually be dirt entering by
some sneaky method like intake systems seals and gaskets or loose throttle or
choke shafts.
Elton