heh heh...sob

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: heh heh...sob
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:31:27 -0400
so I've re-roofed the leak (thanks for the replies, two serious storms and
no leaks so far...knock on wood) and replaced all the sagging drywall but
for an irregular ~2x3 section...

and friday the air conditioner blew up.  gone, leaks in the inside and
outside coils.  better to replace, I'm told, by three different guys.

earlier today good sense prevailed and I decided I wasn't going to try this
one myself (a place on the web will sell to diy-ers).

so now I'm down to single speed compressor vs. two-speed.  it'll end up
costing about $650 more for the two-speed.  everything else is constant
(seer, variable-speed indoor air handler, humidistat) but for the size (the
guy installing the two-speed wants to do a 4 ton, the single-speed a 3.5 ton).

so, considering all that, has anyone gone this route before and have any
experience?  this isn't strictly a cost-recovery equation--I want it to be
quiet and dehumidify well (this is north florida, the most incredibly humid
place on the planet).  I keep reading that the two-speed will be beyond
parallel in those respects, the low speed will run long enough to
dehumidify and it's quieter and a 4-ton on low won't be too big and not run
long enough to dry us out.

but--the guy wanting to install the single speed says his is just as quiet
and will dehumidify just as well and the two-speed is for people with too
much money, or engineers.  I'd really go for this argument (because I *am*
the geek that buys it because it's cool--I recognize I have the
problem...), except I *keep* reading how great the two-speed
is.  everywhere, in everything, but nobody actually seems to *have*
one.  I'll spend the extra cash if it truly is that quiet - the condenser
sits right outside a bedroom window and moving it too far is impractical.

anybody do this and got two cents to offer?  this thing is heating and
cooling the garage (as well as the living space, ahem) so it's got to work
right.  I'm never in the *house* when it's that hot, but I spend all day on
the weekends in the garage.

fwiw, these are carrier brand systems.  comments about the relative merit
of whole-house air cleaners/purifiers are also welcome.  we have pollen and
mold here that have been known to form enlightened civilizations.

thanks in advance.

scott