Siding

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Siding
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 13:09:42 -0500
I took a walk around the far side of the new-construction portion of the shop
westerday and found a new break in the vinyl siding.   One of the neighborhood
kids hit it a ball or the like.  I'm into zero-maintenance when possible, but
if the siding is going to break, this is not it.

My 1950 bungalow has some kind of aluminum siding with hardboard
stiffener/insulation.
 The old part of my shop/garage (the part that is the original garage) is crappy
painted hardboard siding.  The new part of the shop-garage is (apparently-cheap)
vinyl.

What material would you all suggest for a re-siding job of the whole mess?

I am not unhandy, but I am enough afraid of ladders outside that I don't want
to go up to do the gable ends.

Things of which I have heard, but don't know all about:

Vinyl clapboard
Steel clapboard
Aluminum clapboard
Cedar clapboard
Board-and-batten plywood
Cement-board clapboard
Cedar shakes

The house and shop both are straight gable roof.  The house roof has a steeper
pitch as befits a 1950 expansion bungalow.

The soffit and facia on the house is a poor-quality aluminum job from sometime
in the distant past. The window frames are covered in aluminum also, and not
all that well.

I need something which will stand up to the temperature extremes of Minnesota
and occasional impacts from kids in the hood.

I can lay my hands on about ten grand, but I'd like to have some left over for
some inside projects.

Phil Ethier