RE: Porch Plans

To: "'Bob Nogueira'" <nogera@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Porch Plans
From: "Mitchell, Doug (D.B.)" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:43:41 -0400
Bob,

On my deck, I put benches along the outside edge. I screwed 4x4s
and then braced them along each side. They hold up to me (svelte
350+ lbs) standing on them.

On my buddy's porch/deck, we used a similar process. We tore down
his old porch which still had an aluminum roof that needed to be
braced. What we did on the deck part was to float it (not attached
to the house), using 3 sets of beams. One about a foot away from
the house, a second about midway between the house and the edge
of the roof, and the third at the outside edge of the roof. We
then placed 4x4s from between the beams up to the roof. We did
this at 5 locations, at the corners, and at the mid-points of
the roof. I can jump up and down and there is very little vibration.

Hope this helps,

Doug