RE: Compressor

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compressor
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 22:21:16 -0700
> My question is what compressor do I need to buy in order to
> help my frustration out?

Well, how much air does your sandblaster require ?  They vary a good deal.
Translate everything to scfm and compare the numbers.  Note that compressors
are almost always rated in scfm output even when (like the Puma at HF) they
don't say so.

About the smallest sandblaster is rated 4 cfm @ 90 psi.  Since 90 psi is 7
atmospheres, that's equivalent to 28 scfm.  That Puma is only rated at about
20 scfm, so it still won't keep up.  But, with the 80 gallon (roughly 11 cf)
tank pumped up to 165 psi (about 12 atm), it will supply roughly 55 scf by
the time the pressure drops to 90 psi.  At 8 scfm difference between
consumption and compressor output, you should get roughly 7 minutes of
operation.  Unless of course I've goofed a number somewhere.

Randall