Re: MB SLR Speed!

To: <shiples@comcast.net>, <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MB SLR Speed!
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:34:42 -0500
Yeah Steve I'm here... and I guess there's a bit of speed freak in me...

I just got home from the Bonneville Salt flats... and I'm happy to report
that after 5 yrs ... 7 engines.... and two cars I finally set a record out
there... the car is a Modified sports car which started out life as a
Berkeley.... now it's a 17' long streamliner with a berkeley back end....

The Record was 222 and change... and I set the new one up to 246.555mph with
a top speed of 249.2.... this with a 299 cubic inch motor on Gas.. no
nitrous this trip...

Awesome deal... to finally join all my hero's in the Bonneville 200mph
club...

as for doing this on the street.... sorry I'm way to well educated in the
things that can go wrong... having blown up all those motors I'd far perfer
to have a crash rescue crew avalible when I'm going fast...

As for a Real 200mph street car... quite frankly I rather doubt there are
many out there... maybe they can touch it for a second... but sustaining
that kinda speed requires HP and that builds heat... cooling systems can't
take it for long without extensive design work and Size... which these folks
simply aren't putting in a tiny car...  my water system is 21 gallons of a
very complex design...

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Speedweek%2003/photos_18_3/IM000776_small
.JPG