Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cleaning an aged garage floor for painting
From: Ray Bahr <rbahr@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:25:55 -0700
At 04:32 AM 9/11/2003 -0500, Keith Turk wrote:

>There are iron oxide dyes that permanently stain concrete but it has to be
>applied in the mix design prior to pouring...  afterwards there are a number
>of color stains that topically treat concrete and last at least as long as
>paint...   your floor sounds like one I might paint overall...
>
>My issue with paint is that it has to be maintained rather then just
>cleaned... but after a while some floors that have been etched or worked on
>extensively just need it.... so  Paint in it's own right isn't bad... Ray's
>answer to paint sounds like a good one... I was curious thou how is it
>holding up Ray?  do you use Jack stands? ( they seem to kill painted
>floors ) how much work is done off the floor with metal?  how does the rust
>around the shop saw or grinder effect it?

Rust, oil, brake fluid, various cleaners have no affect on the paint. I do
use jack stands - but I took some fairly thin sheet steel and created a
base for the stands and welded it all together - this also adds to the
strength of the stands and gives the stands a slightly wider base.

When things get dirty I just mix up some simple green and water and mop
things down. Oil for the most part just wipes up. I did mix in some sand to
provide traction, but it gets pretty slippery in the winter

>The reason I bring up the rust issue is that my trailer floor is epoxy'd and
>the rust simply wipes up.... if that is the case with a painted floor there
>could be merit in that thought alone...

This stuff is a multi part system - actually a concrete pain with an epoxy
covering...

>Keith ( you can see an old pic of my shop in here... I have to update this
>site... LOL ...what can I say I'm lazy... http:/downtown.ala.net/~kturk )

What a great shop - all I have is a 2 stall garage that is currently
plumbed for air, and power and heat - but still limited. I could fit my
F150 but not walk around it :-(

Ray