RE: trailer battery and isolation, is this the way to go?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: trailer battery and isolation, is this the way to go?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:09:15 -0700
> So is the approach/product on this page:
> http://www.hellroaring.com/rv.htm
>
> In the "Trailer/Camper Mounted Battery Isolation" section (about halfway
> down the page)... is this the way to go?  Doesn't modify the tow vehicle
> wiring, seems to isolate, etc.  Any bad things though?

Looks reasonable to me, assuming the unit works the way they say it does.
Inrush current (caused by connecting a discharged trailer battery directly
to a charged starting battery) should be limited by the resistance of the
wire run.  T'aint cheap tho, an ordinary 80 amp battery isolator shouldn't
be more than about $40, while these things start at $140 ...

Randall