Re: pulse type battery chargers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: pulse type battery chargers
From: Peter Murray <pete@partnercomm.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:59:14 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 JNiolon@uss.com wrote:

> I just completed ruining two 12 volt hi crank amp batteries, evidently by
> keeping them charged ???
>
> I had two 1100 cca batteries that I kept on trickle charge as backups for
> my generator and occasional jump start on a car or tractor in the
> neighborhood.   The consensus is that just keeping 1-3 amps on the
> batteries doesn't 'exercise' them and the plates will 'sulfate' ???   ..  a
> neighbor suggested using a pulse type charger..   my question...
>
> can someone explain what the process is ??    is this just unfiltered dc ??
> or is there a occasional surge voltage that burns off the sulfates ???
>
> I know these units can be bought but can they be home built ??   anyone got
> a schematic ??
>
> please educate the electrically challanged here..
>
> thanks
>
> john

John-

I have no batteries with the capacity you indicate you have here, but for
$50 at the Batteries Plus, I picked up a 12V Pulse conditioner/charger. My
plan is to use it to maintain several 12V gel cells I have (pulled from
complaining UPS units) to power my ham radio station.

See if this helps to explain some of the theory behind pulse
conditioning...

http://www.pulsetech.com/About/techtalkqa/techtalkqa.html

-Peter