Re: cordless tool battery chargers

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: cordless tool battery chargers
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 10:29:39 -0500
>Howdy,
>
>So this recent discussion on battery chargers has me wondering a bit...
>
>I've got a couple 18V Milwaukee cordless tools.  Ideally I could just
>leave the spare batteries on the charger (sometimes for a month or two),
>then pull it off when I need it.
>
>Is this dumb or won't work or bad for the batteries?

Depends on the charger.  Many (probably all newish ones) shut
themselves off when they have finished charging the battery and don't
do any thing more until reset.  If that's the case, leaving the
battery in the charger is no different from leaving it anywhere else
-- except the extra battery is more likely to be charged.  The
owner's manual probably will say DO NOT LEAVE BATTERY IN CHARGER! if
it's not the case.  They'll probably use bigger type, though.  I
doubt there are any that do any sort of charge maintenance.  The
people willing to spend that kind of money on tools use them often
enough that self-discharge shouldn't be a problem.

David