Re: Raccoons in the chimney

To: Bob Nogueira <nogera@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Raccoons in the chimney
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:06:10 -0800
On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 01:22:19PM -0600, Bob Nogueira wrote:

> I've got a raccoon that has set up winter residence in our fire place
> chimney. Not a major problem as we haven't built a fire in the fireplace for
> several years.  The problem is the dogs are going nuts trying to get up the
> chimney.
> Any suggestions on how to get it to move out?

Build a small smoky fire.... enough to make it unpleasant in
the chimney and convince it to move elsewhere.
Then put a screen cap on the chimney.

> My bride has set a few limits;
>  1. Don't harm the raccoon
>  2. let it stay if it has babies
>
> So part two of the question, When do raccoons have there young?

Breeding season is "usually winter", getsation period
is 60-73 days.  So it won't have young now, but
might if you wait a few months.

I'd move him/her out.  Coons are mean.  If it comes
into the house it won't hesitate to attack your pets or
you if it feels threatened (i.e. you look at it).

Eric (who wanted to be "Jim" on Marlin Perkin's show)