Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Goos Enough" but Good Value
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:13:56 -0500
At 07:26 AM 11/23/2003 -0800, Derek wrote:

>That's a very good point Randall that I sometimes think we
>forget. Most of us can't afford really high quality models
>for all tools we want to own. Therefore we compromise and
>find that most lower priced, lower quality tools actually
>do an adequate job.

I think it's also good to mention that frequently the more expensive stuff
really isn't that much better, if any better at all.  case in point: the
absolute worst 3/8" impact I've ever used was a snap-on.  total
crap.  sucked air like a pig, then quit working entirely soon after.

I am really learning to love cheap tools, like they sell at big lots, or
harbor freight.  they last almost as long and feel no remorse abusing
them.  anything that isn't tolerance-dependent (i.e. hammers, crowbars,
etc.) I'll get cheap there, no question.

scott