Re: Tables saw for a newbie

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tables saw for a newbie
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:54:30 -0500
I haven't looked into the low priced table saws recently. I have borrowed a
small table saw from a friend and I have a 12" PowerMatic at home. Before I
got that unit, I had an older model Craftsman 10" belt drive table saw (cast
iron table)

I actually like the small saw I borrowed. It is a Craftsman unit with
aluminum table & direct drive motor. 8" blade IIRC. Light weight enough to
pick up & move around on the job site.

The major drawback to these units is the fence. They feel toy-like compared
to the Beisemyer on my PowerMatic. One has to fiddle & check/recheck
measurements to get them in position & aligned *every* time you move it.
Same with the 10" Craftsman table saw.

If I didn't have such a nice big saw at home (and to razz y'all a bit I
bought the 12" PowerMatic w 3 hp 3 phase motor and phase converter for
$100...) I would seriously consider one of these smaller saws then build it
into a large table to make it easier to manuever plywood. I'd make it so the
saw could be removed if needed to take it to jobs away from my shop.

With a good blade and upgraded fence, I think it'd do a fine job for cutting
plywood & 4/4 hardwood.

Eric