Re: Balancing wheels@home

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Balancing wheels@home
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:30:57 -0600
When I used to race SCCA in the early 70's, the Goodyear guys at the track
just used a plain old bubble balancer and I really don't remember any
significant balance problems ever.  They'd put weight on the frontor rear of
the wheel - sometimes both, sometimes one side only.  Never asked how they
figured out where to put the weights.  It worked well up to the 140 MPH that
my car would go.

I also remember watching them do some tires for Denis Hulme's Can-Am car at
Elkhart Lake the same way.  He set a new track speed record in that car - as
I recall, it was something like 221 MPH.  Wheel balance didn't seem to be a
problem for him either.

What magic did they have over 30 years ago to get such good results with
just a bubble balancer?

Karl Vacek