Re: Garage Door Adjustment

To: wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: Garage Door Adjustment
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 19:38:27 -0500
wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net wrote:
> It's a torsion-spring type installed new about 3 years ago.  How
> difficult / dangerous is it to tighten the spring myself?

   I've done it myself twice, once in my old house when I installed my
hoist and needed some door clearance and inclined the rails (see upper
right):

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/magnette/pics/magnette_with_hubcaps.jpg
http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/midget/pics/midget_overdrive_day_three_3.jpg

   ...and once again just recently in my new house when a few coils
snapped off the end of my current spring.

   It's possible to do it safely, obviously the "pro" who comes will do
exactly the same as you, it's not like calling in a pro because they
have special tools or magical dexterity.

   The first time I did it with "proper" 1/2" bars, which were very
stiff. The second time I did it with 1/2" mild steel bar purchased at
the home depot and cut to a convenient length. The mild steel was a
little unnerving because it was bending a noticeable amount for the last
couple of of turns. I wouldn't use mild steel bars on the stronger
springs used on double-wide doors, but it's probably ok for a
single-door spring.

   My doors are wooden and very heavy so the springs were very strong.
If you have a modern foam and plastic door, it's significantly easier
because the door weighs nothing and the spring isn't NEARLY as
tensioned. (it took two people to lift my door up onto the floor jack to
get it started, with the plastic doors one person can fling it up easily)

   A rambly post, but all to say... be careful, it can be done.