RE: Powder Coating Question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Powder Coating Question
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:22:50 -0800
> Before I go and buy the Harbor Freight powder coating gun I had a
> question about powder coating large pieces, like my truck frame.
> Can I do it with a heat gun or a torch?

Eastwood sells a "large item" kit.  Basically a heat lamp on a stand and a
non-contact thermometer.
http://eastwoodco.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=10180&Dep_Key1=hct

Doing it with a heat gun would certainly be painstaking at best if it would
work at all ... the base metal has to be heated to roughly 400F and held
there for some time so I'd guess you're looking at 20-30 minutes to do each
2-3" circle of the frame.  That's a looong time to stand there and hold the
heat gun.

Torch is not recommended, the powder is flammable and will burn if it gets
too hot.

However, I see no reason the "pregnant oven" concept couldn't be extended to
take an entire frame.  Might take some creativity ... build a box around the
frame out of suitable insulation board and connect one end to the oven
opening.  You might want to block off the original vent (if there is one)
and put a vent on the opposite end of the box.

Randall