How to build a lifting gantry for a chain fall.....

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to build a lifting gantry for a chain fall.....
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 22:10:47 -0500
I just bought an old tractor and am looking at an engine rebuild this
spring/summer. I could probably pull it with my cherry picker but I'd
feel more confident with the greater safety factor of a gantry. I know I
could build a basic one by just making an inverted "U" with feet and
wheels on it, but I am sure somebody has some good idea for features to
add which would improve it functionality, ease of storage, etc. Also, I
am wondering whether it would be possible to make one from heavy wood,
like 6x6s or if I should only consider steel? Harbor freight shows one
for around $500 that seem to have a height adjustment operated by a hand
winch. Does anybody have any good ideas?