Re: lawn tractor advice needed

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: lawn tractor advice needed
From: BSHolden@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:13:58 EST
mark@sccaprepared.com writes:

>  ....Its a two acre lot, all grass that needs to be cut.  The push mower
I've currently     >  got isn't going to cut it... :-)
----------
 Mark;
  A resource I have found useful is:
tractorbynet.com

I have to mow ~2 acres of lawn and used a mid-80's John Deere 210 equipped
with a Kohler 10 horse (before liquid was invented) and a 46" cut with 4 spd
transmission.
It would do the job, but was kinda awkward to maneuver what with it's large
turning radius and the frequent shifting to minimize trimming. That motor was
bullet proof.
After the 2nd transmission fragged on that thing (+$500 each) I went with a
late 80's JD 320. This one with a 2cylinder liquid cooled gas engine
(Kawasaki-highly recommended) and hydro. Along with a much smaller turning
radii.
Purchased the 320 with over 800 hours on the clock. It will exceed the 1K
mark this year. So far with only a problem requiring a new $17 ignition switch.

I like The Green Brand, but stay away from those wimpy pressed steel frame
girlie girl models as sold by Home Depot. Way to petite to last very long as my
neighbor lady will attest.

So far as snow removal: I believe that a 2 stage blower may be your best
choice. But with a 600' gravel driveway I chose to go with a JD MFWD 4200 with
loader. Plus I've got some pasture to mow and fence maintenance stuff, and dirt
moving and whatever else I can think of. I love that tractor:-)

  Bart Holden